Wednesday, September 04, 2013

Filling the box

So the way things are set up currently, I am laying out drawings at the studio at home and shuttling them over to the other studio to paint. To increase me feelings of being a mid-century commercial artist, I bought drawing board with a parallel rule...it's only a few days before I go in for ruling pens...


I've been making more 'famous first words'. It has been fun coming up with them, though I can see it getting harder quickly...below are the first words spoken on MTV when it began broadcasting on August 1, 1981...
After MTV
And the text of the first SMS text message sent on December 3, 1992, by Neil Papworth to Richard Jarvis...
After Neil Papworth
There are a couple more in the pipeline, and I am thinking of other messages to write. The obvious next move for these 'famous first words' would be creation stories...I've plotted out a couple from the Bible and from a Rongo Rongo text from Easter Island. But I am thinking also of them as messages that attempt to cross out of ordinary space, and so have been thinking spells, prayers, and incantations as possible sources. These promise to be even harder to find, to to call for some different research...I welcome any tips...

Studio wall
The title of this post comes from a phrase I heard a friend use a while ago. He described his work at the time as filling a box of things that he would later figure out what to do with. It wasn't work specifically to show, but work to have to possibly show, but just as probably to use as the basis for more work later on. I'm not entirely sure where I'm going with these at this moment (though a large canvas that says, "Ladies and Gentlemen, Roch and Roll" doesn't seem like a bad thing...). I know I am filling time while large panels are getting made, and I like to fill time with things that might turn into something...

No comments: