Monday, September 12, 2005

Works in Progress

Here’s a short list of what each member of the class will be researching this fall (I’ve copied short passages from each proposal to ensure accuracy). Please keep your eyes open for relevant articles or exhibits and share information with your peers.

Keith Gruber: I will be examining how artists have been portrayed in fiction, as well as the narratives surrounding these artists’ works.
Ann Kelly: Plans to a) Explore Postmodernist philosophy as a movement in art, b) [Examine] How signs and codes are used in Postmodernism, and c) [Research] how ‘implosion’ is used in PostModernism.
Tim Murphy: I will be comparing Robert Irwin’s paintings (dot paintings and disc pieces) and Richard Pousette-Dart’s “Presence” paintings to compare the artists’ intent and the physical characteristics that create the energy or presence in their work.
Maleese Schick: This semester I would like to focuses on the combination of installation and performance and how they are influenced through rituals like religion and daily activity.
Deb Yarrington: My goals for the independent writing project are to investigate the uses of mythology, fairy tales, caricature and the grotesque as seen in literature and art over the past decade. I plan to research and compare the history of mythology and fairy tales and how these two similar yet different themes have been used to portray characters found in visual art.
Paul DeMarco: My topic is “Decadence” and its relation to two concepts that I have yet to formally articulate: The Homogenization of Popular Culture and The Dissolution of Category from outside of the art world.
Chris Houston: I would like to investigate the differences between traditional art practices used by contemporary artists and those based on abstraction or a conceptual approach. Chris will compare the discussion of these subjects in various art publications, including Art in America, ArtForum, Critical Inquiry, and others.
Vanessa Juriga: I will be focusing on three specific areas of interest: the Braille language, word art, and optical art.
Aubrey Navarro: I plan to study the narrative conventions used in painting and narrative ideas that are talked about outside the realm of contemporary art.
Mike Reenock: I plan on expanding my understanding of “The Artist’s Studio.” The ‘uniqueness’ of past established artists’ studios makes me curious about the historical background of the artist’s studio. I have chosen to begin here, with examination and insight into the question, what is the Artist’s Studio?
Terri Saulin: My interests lie in study of life at a cellular level, the decorative and color. I am intrigued by things that can be repulsive or deadly, yet beautiful. I plan to research the path of many contemporary artists who have created works of great complexity after decades of minimal practice in the art world.

I’ve intentionally been very concise in selecting project descriptions to encourage curiosity in your peers’ work. If something sparks your imagination, use the blog to comment or offer ideas, or contact your classmates directly with suggestions.
Obviously, this gives me a lot of reading to do and I look forward to hearing what you all come up with.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Terri Saulin my Ceramics Instructor Extraordinaire?!?

The Paint it Yourself gal from CHC would love to catch up with you! If this message finds you - or finds someone who can pass along my email - please write soon! I'm back in Connecticut, doing all kinds of craziness!

The promised email: reddington007 (at) sbcglobal.net