Monday, September 19, 2005


Bewitched , Bothered and Bewildered... Hi all, I just returned from the Rain Harris installation at Nexus Gallery in Philadelphia. I'm keenly interested in her work as a ceramic artist and for her use of an entire space. I hate to use the word "installation," but have to for now. I'm still digesting. It seems Harris has gone from the Baroque interests to Austin Powers meets the Victorian. I appreciate the the change in work habbit, trying on a new hat and a bold move confronting the space. I was disappointed with the way the walls were painted! It was not slick. In previous exhibitions, I noted many many similarities between ceramic, Super-Giant, Adrian Saxe. There was never a loose end. Harris's wall works were painstakingly executed. There was no coloring outside of the lines. This exhibition appeared more like some college kids, decorating their dorm in a shocking fashion, and Rain fixing her ceramic modules to the wall after. I wonder...I really do see the potential for the work and imagine at the same time, difficulty pulling it together. I had a big disappointment this weekend. I was invited to participate in a show in early june. The opening on 9/16 was cancelled, due to an electrical problem.It has been re-scheduled for 9/30. Great! I have to do anither mailing! I was also under enormous time constraints w/ grad-school expectations and teaching responsibilities. Did Rain have a similar stumbling block? I feel like I want to re-do the whole show at this point. I question how Rain feels. She is giving a gallery talk at NEXUS, 137 N. 2nd St., on Sept. 25th at 4pm. I'll be there! Terri  Posted by Picasa

No comments: