Thursday, October 10, 2013

Cut-ups getting structured...

One of the main things I wanted to work on during my sabbatical was find a way to use writing I had generated myself in my work. I've been fascinated by the use of others' writing, but I feel like it sometimes slows me down and I need to have some other material I can work on more quickly. Over the last few years, I have been working on small paper maquettes of signs. These seemed to provide the best opportunity for me to do my own writing, and I have chosen to work in a cut-up method to generate the short passages I'm using. A few of these are coming together all at once; here are some pictures of the first...

One of scores of collages I've made since early summer...
...I've been tinkering with the lettering and scale, and had the pieces cut out on the laser cutter at Tyler's Digital Fabrication Studio
The stand for ths sign is nearly done and needs to be painted, then the letters will be attached...


No comments: