Sunday, August 12, 2018

You are not alone...



A big body of work on which I have been focused for about a year deals with the identification of patterns in fields of information. I am starting small. Inspired by a weird 1970s book - The Language of Pattern by Keith Albarn and a a slew of others - I have been trying to figure out how numbers become shapes. Mostly, I've concentrated on times tables and counting sequences, employing Albarn's method of reducing numbers by using digit sums to get them to numbers between one and nine (this can take a few steps...for example, 84001 is calculated as 8+4+0+0+1 = 13, and finally 3+1 =4).

I did a lot of this in Rome. I had some time to think.

At one point is seemed like a good idea to use the famous Fibonacci sequence, beloved of conspiracy theorists everywhere. I got about 100 or 150 numbers out in the sequence and started to notice something...the digit sums themselves form a pattern.

Turns out I am not the first to see this...I was delighted to come across this site where Gary Meisner writes about a 24-digit repeating sequence of digit sums of Fibonacci numbers. In case you're interested (or trying to figure out if aliens are trying to communicate with you...) the sequence is:

1,1,2,3,5,8,4,3,7,1,8,9,
8,8,7,6,4,1,5,6,2,8,1,9.
If you assign each digit a color, and you count to 100, the array looks like the square above on the right.

No comments: