Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Statement to the Landsdowne Arts Board


On July 24, 2015, I received an email from Hanne Weedon, representing the Lansdowne Arts Board, advising me that I had been selected to participate in a series of exhibits at the Lansdowne Arts Board’s 20*20 gallery, curated by Philadelphia gallerist Bridgette Mayer. At the time, I was unfamiliar with the Lansdowne Arts Board, but Bridgette Mayer’s professional reputation in the regional arts community and investment in its programming encouraged me that this would be a worthwhile project to undertake. Over the next three years, I worked with Ms. Weedon to schedule and organize the exhibit. More than 140 emails and three site visits took place in this time. Throughout this period, I found her to be extremely responsive and cooperative. A written agreement about the exhibit was pending, but not signed by either party.
 
On August 19, 2018, more than three years after this invitation was extended, I learned that Ms. Weedon’s employment had been terminated and that a long list of tasks necessary to carrying out the exhibit remained. Having worked with Ms. Weedon to plan the exhibit, its installation, and interpretation, I was naturally concenred about this decision. I have not been given an explanation why she was immediately terminated, but I was reassured that volunteers from the community would come forward to carry out the program.
 
As a mentor to young artists, a teacher, and an experienced arts administrator, this decision gives me cause to be concerned about the Lansdowne Arts Board’s and the local government’s commitment to professionalism. My conversations with artists who have exhibited with the LAB confirm that the gallery administrator has been pivotal in carrying out programs. This is consistent with best practices in the galleries.
 
Professionalism is an important issue in the arts. It is the means by which accountability can be assured to the community. As a faculty member at Tyler School of Art, I try to uphold and instill in my students a high level of professionalism and respect for accountability.
 
For these reasons, I have decided to withdraw from this project. I want to thank the numerous volunteers who came forward to offer their assistance; I regret that the compressed timeline of the exhibit, combined with communication challenges produced by this change, made completing the project unrealistic without continuity of leadership at the gallery. I especially want to express my thanks to Hanne Weedon for her patience and cooperation throughout the planning process.

No comments: