Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Hoodwinked

Hello all! Looking Forward to a productive semester! I've decided that one of my goals for this semester is to write on the blog at least once or twice a week. I have a ton of reading on Myth and I just added seven more books on the figure in clay. I just figured if I write a little bit about all the reading and research that I was doing this semester it would not only be a helpful synopsis for me but it might start some great conversations with anyone else who might be heading in similar directions.
So I decided to see the new animated movie "Hoodwinked". I don't know how many of you are into animated movies, but if you haven't guessed it yet, I'm kind of a kid at heart when it comes to animation. Truth be told, I own way to many animated films....and yes...I watch them all...Over and over again....I know all the words...
Anywho, "Hoodwinked" was a cute story. Basically the writer decided to take the tale of Little Red Riding Hood and twist it up a bit. This reminded me greatly of how Gregory Maguire has turned the story of the Wizard of Oz around with his books "Wicked" and "Son of a Witch". The gist is, Little Red, Granny, the Wolf, and the Woodcutter are all caught up in this scandal going on the woods. It seems that somebody has been going around the forest stealing "goody" recipes from all the local sweet stores. It just so happens that Granny heads up the most successful goody industry in all the land, which makes her a prime suspect. The movie picks up where the story leaves off. All the characters converge in Granny's house and that's when the backstories come into play.
You get to see the story from the perspectives of each character as they live their lives and eventually meet up on that fateful day at Granny's house. You see Red as a delivery girl working for her Granny who wishes to get out of the family business. You see the Wolf as a reporter just trying to get the story of the goody thief published and solved. You see Granny as the daredevil, thrill-seeker, who gets caught up in the scandal and finally the Woodsman as an out-of-work actor just trying to "be the part" of a woodsman.
There are a slew of other cute and sarcastic characters that add to the story. I have to say that the sarcasm and wit is non-stop, but its a tame enough movie to bring your kids to. I think if I were to retell a fairy tale, or in that case, if anyone in today's society, witht the sarcasm, wit and humor that tends to run ramped today were to retell a fairy tale, this might be the outcome.
Yes, there is still that happy ending, because it wouldn't be a fairy tale if there wasn't one. Do the characters learn their lessons? Yes, and family members are brought closer together. Is there magic and enchantment involved? Yes, I'm sure I'm not the only one who as a kid thought about jumping off of something with a cape or an umbrella just to see if it truly would make me fly. So I think "Hoodwinked" does its job as a fairy tale and puts a nice spin on an old classic.
Lets face it, Little Red Riding Hood has had a shady past with a lot of sexual innuendo and explicit language. This is a fresh 21st century child-like spin, but with plenty of adult irony and wit to keep any audience interested and entertained. SO, if any of you got an hour and a half, go see it! Its a nice way to spend an evening!

1 comment:

tess1175 said...

Deb, There's another book called "The Secret Teachings of All Ages," by Manly P. Hall that may be good for you. Explores esoteric religion/philosophy and symbols. You can check it out a little on Amazon...he also has what looks like a wierd book about America's secret future. Terri