Sunday, November 06, 2005

Damn, I got some good papers....

Congratulations on some interesting writing this time around. Highlights so far have included Keith's musings on artists in fiction and the way their training reflects on the way artists are really trained; Malese's observations about a Jewish ritual bath and its echoes in a performance by contemporary artist Marina Abramovic; Deb Yarrington's outstanding analysis of the evolution of fairy tales and conjectures about their place in contemporary society; Aubrey's biographical look at Hanry Darger; and Chris Houston's impassioned examination of the effects of celebrity culture on fine art.
I wish I could post the papers on line, as at several points your interests overlap and I think you could teach one another (in fact, almost everything I've read seems to address a feeling of rudderless ness in contemporary art, as if our training were inadequate, we lacked the common ground offered by utopian literature or the grounding offered by ritual, or that celebrity culture is corroding our impact on society. Again, I encourage you to use this site to exchange ideas and information. There is, after all, only so much I can teach you.
I'll be getting to the rest of the papers I've received soon, so hang in there. I just felt the good work I've seen deserved a shout from the West.

No comments: