Monday, February 02, 2015

Progress on Chomography...

For a few months now, I've been working with Melinda Steffy on a project that will open this spring at Rowan University Art Gallery. One of the major parts of this - for me - is the translation of twenty four literary passages concerning time of day into short melodies in Solresol, a constructed language invented by Francois Sudre in 19th century France.

Sudre's language employed only seven syllables - the notes of the C major scale - to form a vocabulary of nearly 3,000 words. Here is a link to a play list of the translations, and I am considering ways of revealing the scores themselves. Melinda has translated my translations into her color-based form of music notation, and we are thinking of large decals on the gallery windows...something like this:


Soon I'll post images of other work that's coming together for this show...I appreciate your comments.

No comments: