Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Sabbatical Diary Begins

I should have started this a few weeks ago, but I've actually been terribly busy. I wanted to take some notes on what I am doing during this time off - a great gift - and have a place to put out pictures and ideas. So, here's the diary...

Actually, a lot has already happened in terms of research and in terms of work, but I'll loop back to some of that in future entries (part of what has slowed me down about this diary is what always slows me down...the wait for noteworthy news to report. The problem with this condition is that sooner or later, nothing looks like it's worth reporting and you end up with nothing to share...I am trying to overcome that and hope to avoid being tedious...)

Before we go too far, I have to say it's a little bewildering to be on leave from work to do research. I am so used to fitting writing and painting into the spaces between other projects that it feels strange to focus on them. I am a little concerned that inspiration for pictures and essays might be like some mysterious particles in physics that disappear when one turns one's attention to them.

Sabbatical Studio at the Crane Arts Building...it's a little like a base camp for a long climb...
The best way to combat this fear is to try to maintain continuity with earlier work. I have started a number of pictures that deal with the relationship between writing and painting (examples of these are on my website).

A lot of what I'm trying to do with this break is complete work for future shows. I also have several completed bodies of work that need to be photographed and 'packaged' for possible exhibition. While I'm doing this, I'm trying to come up with a workshop for a community agency I'd like to work with and complete a show I've been asked to curate for Bucks County Community College (opening in January). And there's always work-related stuff lingering on the fringes of my mind...there is plenty to do.

So please check in from time to time as I describe my progress. Thanks for reading...

No comments: