Friday, June 11, 2010

Dangerous minds - part 2

In the first post on Dangerous Minds, I think I was too general when I moved away from exaggerated emblems for intelligence (big brains) to scientists...so here's a new attempt to get to the point.
First, a disclaimer. Most of these images were suggested by Fernando Vidal's essay Ectobrains in the Movies in the Getty's The Fragment: An Incomplete History. The above image comes from a 1953 film called Donovan's Brain (a trailer is on YouTube). In a nut shell, the brain of a deadman goes looking for a body to rule. Good times.
I've not yet seen the Brain that Wouldn't Die, but it sounds like a winner in this genre. Part of what I think creeps us out about brains is tied up in mortality. And if your decapitated girlfriend's brain must be kept alive at all costs, well there's a potent symbol for you...


 I'm sooo into this image from The Fiend without a Face (Science gone wild!). Too bad it seems the brains tend to go invisible when they hunt.

...one could only wish the brain in The Brain were a little less visible. I can see a few Spanish dub versions of the film have made it online, but it may be time for some Netflicks research...


Finally, when Vidal mentions Steve Martin in The Man With Two Brains, all I can think of this this more recent analog....



I have a few more up my sleeve, but they will require some video rentals. Meanwhile I hope you enjoyed this installation of Dangerous Minds....

No comments: