Tuesday, May 05, 2009

That's how the story goes

Just a pointer today; I wanted to call out about Jessica Helfand's post about narrative on Design Observer. I am looking at my students' projects on narrative and I doubt I was convincing to them as I tried to argue that its return to contemporary art is one of the most important aspects of the art of our time. Wish I'd seen this first.

Oh, and it makes me feel vindicated about asking my students to give the 'elevator pitch' for their thesis papers...

1 comment:

Karen Joan Topping said...

hmmmm- Thanks Gerard! Seems like this is on many peoples minds right now and I for one concur with your assertion. In fact, I still feel like I only concurred with it a few weeks ago and am a little in shock. I have to admit my reluctance and disbelief was in regard to narrative's ever having gone away - how could it be that it is returning? My own angle on this is still questioing how the return to narrative may also be linked to a return to romanticism - which for me stands to reason by comparison, does that mean we've just lived though a relatively CLASSICAL period? Oish - Don't ask me about that yet - - - no one gave me the memo....KJT