Friday, February 03, 2006

Fred Tomiselli Lecture @ The Fabric Workshop 2/3/06


Hi All, This post comes after the Fred Tomiselli lecture this evening. After a fried Bologna w/potato sandwich and two glasses of wine, I'm watching The Grizzley Man: with Timothy Treadwell, on the Discovery Channel. I think it has scared me to my bones! (I'm contemplating another glass/bottle!) That's another story. Since we Americans are all officially addicted to oil, I thought that I would relate an interesting project that Mr. Tomiselli offered. Tomiselli was talking about his process of collecting images. He showed pages of bird books with the images cut out. The images were haunting. They were perfectly liberated from their former rectangle with a surgeon's precision, like the empty silhouettes of Victorian shadow portraits. He mentioned the enormous amount of catalogues he received in the mail. He thought... Here we are, outside and observing nature, dressed in our petroleum based, weather managing wear! He made the most amazing collages of the birds wearing images of fleece and Gortex that he cut out of catalogues. The colors and textures mimic the actual colors of the creatures studied. More to come! Insightful and witty talk. (Agati, Doreen and I were not the "scruffy" art students he noticed in the audience!) Terri

No comments: