Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Giving a talk

So I was asked by my studio mentor if I wouldn't mind giving a talk to the undergraduates at the local college about getting into Graduate school. At first I was a little shocked but I think I'm gonna do it! It's tomorrow at 6:00 pm. Then, my old ceramics professor ( from the same school) asked me to be part of her panel of visiting artists. Every year they find a few local graduates from the college and invite them to come back and talk about life after undergraduate school. They show slides of there work, talk about where they are in their field and so on. Sooo, I think I might say yes to that as well! So Does anybody have any scary or life-lesson-learning experiences about graduate school that they think I should mention? I guess, if there was one thing you all could have known before getting into graduate school what would it have been?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Doing a talk can be a great chance to understand your motivations and interests. I think the first time I did one, I was struck by how little I was interested in other paintings and how much I'd been trying to define my art away from the gallery community. It was startling. Subsequently, I've tried to make each opportunity to talk an opportunity to find a new way through what I do, as if I were looking at what I have done from another perspective. Enjoy, and let us know how it goes.
Best, - gb