Wednesday, June 08, 2016

More maintenance

I didn't love Interstellar, but it did strike a chord with me.

The film's long set-up describes a world where no chances can be taken because society can no longer afford them. Being part of a generation that was too late for the babyboomers' party and always knew it would be in charge of the clean up, I saw something painfully familiar in the story where characters were encouraged to go into farming and discouraged from breaking new ground through exploration.

Maybe that's what has me following all this stuff on maintenance and repair (which I've tagged this and other recent posts with). If you Google images of 'maintenance' you get hundreds of faceless drones like those below> they generally hold hand tools, but some of them have wrenches and computer keyboards, implying that a wrench is used to keep a computer up. Clearly, the world is screwed.

What you find when you look for 'maintenance' online...
Either way, I had the same sort of grim recognition when I read Laura Bliss' essay in the Atlantic's 'Citylab' ("How 'Maintainers,' not 'Innovators,' Make the World Turn", April 16, 2016). So I wanted to add it to this list...

At some point we'll get to how all this fits together. For now...there's a clean up on aisle three...

No comments: